[CLN-list] CLN on OS X, linking problem

Ralf Wildenhues Ralf.Wildenhues at gmx.de
Fri Mar 18 08:41:57 CET 2005

* Richard B. Kreckel wrote on Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 11:59:58PM CET:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > BTW: which one is the official list address?  @thep or @zino?
>
> Please try to avoid @zino.

No problem.  Wasn't me that brought it into the recipient list.

Your To: has cln-list at ginac.de, your Reply-To: has both
Richard.Kreckel at ginac.de and cln-list at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
by the time it reaches me.  Even not considering the problem
whether reply-to munging or putting the list name in reply-to
is useful or harmful at all -- there are always four addresses
involved (Your From: is kreckel at ginac.de, different again :)

If the reply-to is added by the ML software, maybe you could
adjust it to point to cln-list at ginac.de as well?

It's not a big deal at all, I just thought I'd mention it.

> > If your link line turns out to be longer than that maximum length
> > estimate, libtool _will_ split the link by using `ld -r', possibly more
> > than once.  It's one portable way around that restriction.  On some
> > systems, convenience archives could help, too.
>
> Ralf, "possibly more than once" is not exactly hinting at 855 times, which
> is what happened to me then.

Uh, oh.  Well, good thing that bug's gone.
(It should've done so a couple of times, like 2 or 3..)

> But anyway, I realize it's not happening any
> more, so there is nothing to fix and I'm happy to do the upgrade...
>
> ...which I just did!  :-)

Great, thanks.

> [...]
> > > And as to the modifications in CLN's libtool, there appears to be only one
> > > patch for the Comeau compiler:
*snip*
> > Weird enough, I have not found this option to be described in Comeau's
> > online documentation.  For whoever has Comeau: it'd be really nice if
> > they ran the whole Libtool testsuite (preferably branch-2-0) on it, I'm
> > sure there are more issues to sort out.  Libtool supporting more
> > compilers better is always a good thing.
>
> Maybe you want to contact Roberto Bagnara?

Will do so.  Thanks,
Ralf