Porting GiNaC

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Wed Apr 4 16:31:10 CEST 2001

Hi Gustavo,

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Gustavo Guerra wrote:
> I've used GiNaC for some time with g++, but now I need to use it in
> Borland C++. Are there any plans on porting GiNaC to other platforms?

No, there are no plans to port CLN to other compilers. It is not only a
question of static initializations, it is also a question of
efficiency.  Very few C++ compilers can generate good code for the
particular programming style in which CLN is written.  (A style which
you will not find in the books: heavy use of smart pointers with
nontrivial destructors.)

BTW, why do you "need to use it in Borland C++".  The Borland Compiler is
rather poor at C++ compared to GCC, IIRC.

> It seems pretty straightforward, but the problem is CLN.
> Is it possible to make GiNaC work on top of other similar library like
> Shoup's NTL? Can anyone help me do it?

NTL is no help here, it does not have the features we need for GiNaC.

Still, you are welcome to give it a try.  I had once successfully ported
it to the Portland Group compiler and that worked just fine.  Of course,
you should try it with a static library first, not a dynamic one.  Please
refer to <http://www.ginac.de/FAQ.html#portability>.

Regards
     -richy.
--