version 0.8.2 again ginsh compile broken with libreadline4 in Debian?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Wed Apr 25 15:25:14 CEST 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Julian Stoev wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 01:20:55PM +0200, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
> |On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Julian Stoev wrote:
> |> In file included from /usr/include/readline/keymaps.h:37,
> |>                  from /usr/include/readline/readline.h:37,
> |>                  from ginsh.h:36,
> |>                  from ginsh_parser.yy:41:
> |> /usr/include/readline/rltypedefs.h:48: invalid exception specifications
> |[...]
> |
> |What is your exact version of libreadline4-dev?  What does
> |/usr/include/readline/rltypedefs.h say at line 48?  On my machine this is
> |right inside a comment!!!
>
> bash-2.05$ dpkg -l libreadline4-dev
> ii  libreadline4-dev    4.2-2               GNU readline and history libraries, development files.
>
> On line 48 there is
> typedef int rl_command_func_t __P((int, int));

Indeed, specifying throw() in extern "C" by carelessly using the __P
macro is what causes the problem.  I guess it is currently impossible to
#include <readline/readline.h> from within any C++ program with this
release of readline4.    :-(

<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=95048&repeatmerged=yes>

Feel free to help them on this one.  Maybe one should increase the
severity of this bug from "normal" to something release-critical.  My
satanic plan is:  I'll dupload now anyways so the build-daemon will bark
bugreports which we can then use to exert some pressure in case nothing
happens.

Thanks for pointing this out
                           -richy.
--