Wishlist

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Mon Jul 2 20:15:22 CEST 2001

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Stefan Weinzierl wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Alexander Frink wrote:
>
> > I expect similar results for a GiNaC in double-precision mode.

Well, it should be womewhat faster.  Those for-loops in interpreted CAS
are so incredibly sloooowww...  Just assembling those matrices for the
Lewis-Wester checks takes some while in Maple and MuPAD whereas it is a
no-timer in GiNaC.

> > > Alternatively emit the file, automatically add the necessary boilerplate,
> > > compile it and link it back in using dlopen(3).  On systems that support
> > > dlopen, such as Linux, with a little effort the whole procedure can be
> > > entirely autmated, as far as I can see.
> >
> > I think it is worth writing a prototype for this and include
> > it in the distribution (or at least documentation) if it is generic
> > enough. cint can use a similar trick (#pragma compile).
> >

> Hi,
>
> thinking about it, I believe that an automated approach based on dlopen is
> indeed the better alternative.

Maybe someone should research this libltdl-thing which comes with the
libtool distribution.  From the README:

: This is GNU libltdl, a system independent dlopen wrapper for GNU libtool.
:
: It supports the following dlopen interfaces:
: * dlopen (Solaris, Linux and various BSD flavors)
: * shl_load (HP-UX)
: * LoadLibrary (Win16 and Win32)
: * load_add_on (BeOS)
: * GNU DLD (emulates dynamic linking for static libraries)
: * libtool's dlpreopen

Regards
     -richy.
--