A move away from CLN?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Mon Jul 30 19:15:30 CEST 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Duraid Madina wrote:
> > Err, I just gave the German distributor a call and this is what they
> > claimed:  KAI is a frontend-only compiler, it uses GCC or another
> > C-compiler as backend.   (?)
>
> Are you sure they're not talking about another KAI product, "Visual KAP".
> This is a preprocessor which automatically parallizes source code (and also
> performs some source-level optimizations even for serial codes) before
> passing it along to another compiler. It's not really a 'compiler' in and of
> itself, though. You'd require another compiler as a backend. (That product
> is about to be discontinued, by the way.)

No, I wasn't talking about Visual KAP.  This is from KAI C++ Compiler
(KCC) Version 4.0f release notes which by the way lists (the
triple-cursed) gcc-2.96-81 as a requirement:

:   The top level KAI C++ driver, KCC, is intended to be
: used as a compiler.  Under the top level driver there
: are three distinct compilation phases.  First, the front-
: end parses the source file, performs high-level optimiza-
: tions, and generates an intermediate file in standard C.
: Next, a C compiler reads in the intermediate C file and
: generates an object file.  Last of all, a link process
: combines the object modules and libraries, and takes care
: of template instantiation and static object initialization.

Err, am I supposed to be impressed by this?

regards
     -richy.
--
Richard Kreckel