[GiNaC-devel] CLN compiling issue on Mac OS X 1.3

Jens Vollinga vollinga at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Sun Apr 10 10:54:16 CEST 2005

Hi Fausto,

I am not sure about your problem, but maybe the following might help
you.

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:13:30PM +0200, Fausto Saporito wrote:
> I'm using autoconf 2.59 is it the right version?

That version works fine with GiNaC.

> What is the exact procedure to generate a configure? I didn't find any
> autogen.sh script, so I tried to use the autogen.sh present in GiNaC
> cvs tree.

Use
autoreconf -i
That does the job those autogen.sh scripts normally take care of.
It's part of the autoconf package.

> /sw/share/aclocal/pth.m4:55: warning: underquoted definition of
> _AC_PTH_VERBOSE
> /sw/share/aclocal/pth.m4:61: warning: underquoted definition of
> AC_CHECK_PTH
> /sw/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:5: warning: underquoted definition of
> PKG_CHECK_MODULES
> /sw/share/aclocal/libgcrypt.m4:23: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT
> /sw/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_GTK
> /sw/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_GLIB

The automake files of GiNaC are set up for older versions of automake,
like automake 1.4. Newer versions (and there are plenty of them!)
produce these warnings. It's kind of annoying but basically harmless.

>  + Running autoheader: autoheader: warning: missing template: CL_USE_GMP
> autoheader: Use AC_DEFINE([CL_USE_GMP], [], [Description])
> autoheader: warning: missing template: CL_VERSION
> autoheader: warning: missing template: CL_VERSION_MAJOR
> autoheader: warning: missing template: CL_VERSION_MINOR
> autoheader: warning: missing template: CL_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL
> done.
>  + Running automake: configure.ac: no proper invocation of
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
> configure.ac: You should verify that configure.ac invokes
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
> configure.ac: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
> configure.ac: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using
> aclocal).
> configure.ac: installing `autoconf/missing'
> automake: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output
> done.

This is not harmless anymore ;-) What's your version of automake?

Regards,
Jens