Problem with CLN on Alpha - solved

maxa at frodo.jia.czn.cz maxa at frodo.jia.czn.cz
Sat Oct 15 01:13:11 CEST 2005

 Hi Richy,

> rather clueless what is happening.  You were having optimization switched
> on so you didn't fall into that include/cln/modules.h trap.  Really, I
> have no idea...

> For your convenience, I have uploaded the static library I just compiled
> to <ftp://ftpthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/pub/kreckel/>.  You should be able
> to do some debugging with this.  Please do tell us when you find out what
> was wrong.
>
> Regards
>      -richy.
> --
> Richard Kreckel
> <Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>
> <http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/>

 Thank you very much for the static library.  I compared your  and  my  library
and I find some differences (for example: "nm cl_prin_globals.o"):

correct:
00000000000001a0 T _GLOBAL_$D$cl_module__cl_prin_globals__firstglobalfun
                 U _GLOBAL_$D$cl_module__cl_st_null__firstglobalfun
0000000000000160 T _GLOBAL_$I$cl_module__cl_prin_globals__firstglobalfun
                 U _GLOBAL_$I$cl_module__cl_st_null__firstglobalfun

wrong:
00000000000001a0 t _GLOBAL_$D$_3cln$default_print_flags
                 U _GLOBAL_$D$cl_module__cl_prin_globals__firstglobalfun
                 U _GLOBAL_$D$cl_module__cl_st_null__firstglobalfun
0000000000000160 t _GLOBAL_$I$_3cln$default_print_flags
                 U _GLOBAL_$I$cl_module__cl_prin_globals__firstglobalfun
                 U _GLOBAL_$I$cl_module__cl_st_null__firstglobalfun

 And since you mentioned the optimization, I tried different  levels,  and  the
solution is here! G++ miscompiles CLN if no optimization (-O0) is used  and  if
too much optimization (-O3) is used. So, when I switched back to -O2 level, all
is fine. Great!

 Thanks a lot! Cheers,
                       Ladislav Zejda
                       zejdaz at mbox.vol.cz

PS:
> First, your email address (the maxa@ -one) is screwed.  Each time I reply
> the message bounces, yet you respond...

 Actually my address maxa at frodo.jia.czn.cz is correct, but it's not usable  for
sending e-mail to me since it's the address of my home computer when it's  con-
nected to the Internet. And that's usually just a short time  since  it's  very
expensive for a physics student here. So, please always use the address  of  my
incoming mailbox: zejdaz at mbox.vol.cz . My e-mail contains the line

so the reply should work well.