[GiNaC-devel] Bug in differentiation of power.

Chris Dams Chris.Dams at mi.infn.it
Tue Apr 4 12:19:28 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I found out that when differentiating a power it is tested whether the
exponent is real. If this is the case, code is executed that assumes that
this exponent is a numeric. Hower, because we also have real symbols
nowadays this is not correct. Besides, why would differentiating x^I need
a special case? Its derivative is simply I*x^(I-1). Therefore, I changed
this test into a check whether the exponent is a numeric.

I will also backport this change to 1.3.

Best,
Chris