[GiNaC-devel] Re: [GiNaC-list] Possible size issue in test in numeric.cpp

Jens Vollinga vollinga at physik.uni-wuppertal.de
Mon Aug 7 17:32:57 CEST 2006

Dear Chris,

Chris Dams schrieb:
> I'm not a CLN expert either, but to me it does not seem that the code is
> incorrect. On the AMD 64 platform it is apparently always okay to apply
> the constructor cl_I(int) no matter how large the integer argument is. If
> the compiler is smart enough, it will automatically do what your patch is
> doing (i.e., throw the if out of the code), so I fail to see benefits from
> your patch.

you are right: the code is correct and a smart compiler will do the same
what Pierangelo's patch does. Still, I am somewhat in favor of applying
this patch, because it removes an irritating warning. It is not just an
annoying warning. It looks as if it had some meaning to it and thereby
provokes patch-production or raises doubt about the code quality of ginac.

I'd like to release 1.3.5 soon (today, tomorrow?). Apart from an NEWS
update (expand_dummy_sum fix missing) and a possible inclusion of
Pierangelo's patch (objections?) are there any pending issues?

Regards,
Jens