[GiNaC-devel] AsyForGiNaC - an output extension producing Asymptote files

Vladimir Kisil kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 18:50:07 CEST 2006

		Dear Jens,

    >> The idea is to add one more printing context "asy" to the "text",
    >> "latex", "python", etc. family.

    JV> Ah, that is something I was not aware of. I thought that there
    JV> should be draw, draw_like_this, draw_the_other_way methods added
    JV> to the classes. So, is it just a new printing context?

	Since Asymptote is command-driven language we only need "print"
  suitable instructions, the drawing will done for us.

    JV> So, this preparation is done in some global object and later
    JV> when the GiNaC objects are asked to print themselves they in
    JV> turn ask (in case the asy printing context is used) this object
    JV> for certain properties? Is this the plan, roughly?

	This is indeed the idea (unless something better will be
  suggested). I also suppose that basic GiNaC abilities in this respect
  should be very modest, but a user should be able to modify/extend them
  easily for specific needs/derived classes.

  After all even a standalone library is already useful. But
  we still have not got a place to put "Contrib" stuff....

  Best wishes,
  Vladimir
Vladimir V. Kisil     email: kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk
--                      www: http://maths.leeds.ac.uk/~kisilv/