[GiNaC-devel] AsyForGiNaC - an output extension producing Asymptote files

Sheplyakov Alexei varg at theor.jinr.ru
Mon Aug 21 07:24:28 CEST 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 02:31:30PM +0200, Chris Dams wrote:

> The point is of course that every object of a class does only store a
> *pointer* to a table of virtual methods and not the table itself.

I agree with you, in theory it should be so. But in practice getting
rid of [unnecessary] virtual methods *does* help to reduce memory usage.
E.g. removing all printing methods (which I use for debugging only,
since there is no point in staring throw several-hundreds-megabytes
expression, compiling it as a C/C++/whatever code is hopeless too)
reduces memory usage by ~10% (and this was extremely important for us
due to 3Gb user-space VM limit).

Best regards,
 Alexei.

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.