[GiNaC-devel] Class container vs. the holy standard?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Tue May 9 23:15:58 CEST 2006

I wrote:

> The problem is we can't have template <template <class, class> class
> C> class container besides template <template <class> class C> class
> container. But in this case, I think we can just name the former
> diffently, for example container_with_allocator. The attached patch is
> a quick shot: on first sight it's uglier that what has been suggested
> before (writing template <template< class T, class A =
> std::allocator<T> > class C> class container, but it doesn't turn all
> container types into container-assuming-STL types.
>
> It has the problem that it still fails to link and on gcc-4.2 it even
> fails to compile with very strange error mesages from the assembler.
> But, heck, who cares!?

Okay, attached is a completed version of that patch.  The link failures
turned out to be due to some pieces still missing.  And the assembler
weirdness has gone away with a new snapshot of the compiler (dated
2006-05-06).

I'm undecided: check that in or check in the other alternative that
basically makes all containers std::allocator<ex> based?  In any case, I
don't think this is anything for the 1.3 branch since it changes the
signature of everything containing a GiNaC::lst.  Maybe toss a coin?

  -richy.

--
Richard B. Kreckel
<http://www.ginac.de/~kreckel/>