[GiNaC-devel] GiNaC's performance bottleneck[s]

Sheplyakov Alexei varg at theor.jinr.ru
Tue Nov 21 17:10:39 CET 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 01:32:32PM +0000, Vladimir Kisil wrote:
> 	I also have examples of the same code which may run either few
>   seconds or infinity.

Could you please show such an example?

> Is gcd the only source in GiNaC of such behaviour?

I suspect there are few others too. In particular, collect() is _very_
inefficient when the argument is a sparse multivariate polynomial.
(I've got a patch, but I need to do more tests before submitting it).

But gcd and other polynomial operations which make use of it (normal,
collect_common_factors) are the most ugly ones :(

Best regards,
 Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.