[GiNaC-devel] about "obsolete" versions

Sheplyakov Alexei varg at theor.jinr.ru
Tue Sep 18 09:18:40 CEST 2007

Hello!

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:30:04PM +0200, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
> A simple proposal: let's not care about release 1.3 so much. It is a
> waste of time now that 1.4 is out.

Frankly, I'm not going to switch to 1.4 anytime soon, so I do care about 1.3.
In general, I don't like to upgrade unless there is a compelling reason to
do so (e.g. new version is 2x faster, or has some feature I need very
much, etc).

> If there's some really serious issue with 1.3 we can fix it for the 1.3
> branch,

I think this particular regression is pretty serious.

> but only as long as it is still in use by people out there.

There is at least 1 user :) People don't like to upgrade (especially if
their code breaks, gets substantially slower, etc), so I think there
will be more.

> But making an effort to backport as much as possible appears pointless
> to me.

Actually, [almost] all patches for 1.4 (and HEAD) I've submitted were
forward ported (in most cases porting boils down to git-cherry-pick).

Best regards,
 Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.