[GiNaC-devel] (git) spurious merges

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Thu Apr 3 09:11:28 CEST 2008

Dear Richard,

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:57:04PM +0200, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:

> I still fail to understand what has happened

1. Jens' repository was not up to date.
2. Instead of rebasing his changes onto appropriate branch he merged them
   with that branch.
3. The merge was not a fast-forward (and could not be a fast-forward for
   the reasons I've explained in the previous mail).
4. Jens pushed his changes.
5. At this stage your repository is not up to date, and you did one more
   merge (which was not fast-forfard, and could not be a fast-forward).

> and  what it means.

We've got several bogus merge commits in the repository. That's not
fatal at all. But such merges can make a number of operations (*real*
merges, bisecting, etc.) more difficult than necessary. It would be
nice to avoid such merges in the future.

> What I gathered is that I'll do the fetch/rebase cycle before pushing
> some patch next time.

OK.

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.