[GiNaC-devel] about "official" repositories

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Tue Mar 4 15:20:06 CET 2008

Hi Alexei,

Alexei Sheplyakov wrote:
> "However, the more common way to do this is to maintain a separate
> public repository (usually on a different host) for others
> to pull changes from. This is usually more convenient, and allows you
> to cleanly separate private work in progress from
> publicly visible work."

well, I like the following comment there more ;-) :

"For projects with few developers, or for synchronizing a few private
repositories, this may be all you need.

The actual point I wanted to make in answering Richy was about the
_official_ repository. I don't like the idea of having several publicly
available repositories of which any could happen to be the official one.
If a user wants to look at the official version, he should not need to
visit several addresses to figure how where what version is and what the
most recent might be.

So, to wrap it up:
- the official git repository should be on www.ginac.de
- you have an publicly available repository as well
- I only have a private repository
- others like Richy most likely(?) also have private repositories
- as soon as somebody has changes in his repository that seem okay to be
  made official, that person pushes these changes on www.ginac.de
- or alternatively, one person on notice pulls them to www.ginac.de

That sounds reasonable to me.

Regards,