[GiNaC-devel] Release

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Sun May 22 15:19:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 22.05.2011 14:54, schrieb Alexei Sheplyakov:
> Not exactly, run
>
> objdump -p libginac.so | grep SONAME

and the answer is:

   SONAME               libginac.so.0

Looks good? Is it different at your box?

>> So,  what do you mean with libginac0? Where does this 0 come from?!?
>
> I guess it comes from the SONAME, and a naming convention for shared
> library packages.
> Typically such packages are called after the library SONAME. Thus, a
> package containing
> libginac.so.0 is called libginac0.

Ah, okay.

>> More importantly, why does lexicographic ordering matter?!?
>
> Because humans and (package management) software expect SONAMEs
> (and version numbers) to be increasing.

Eh? I don't understand, yet. Human expectations aside, why does package
management rely on lexicographical ordering?

What I plan to do is to go from libginac-1.5.so to libginac.so. I don't
want to encode the library version anymore into the name (yes, it
creates some one-time extra work for distros).

So, is this the actual dissent: you/richy want still a number in the
name (which better is increasing)? Change the library name again when we
do a ginac-3.0 release? I don't see a benefit, yet.

Regards,
Jens