Resource Requirements?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ThEP.Physik.Uni-Mainz.DE
Thu Feb 24 12:18:41 CET 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Alexander Frink wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Patrick K Notz wrote:
> > know '-lcln' works.  I'm wondering though if my 233 MHz,32MB RAM linux
> > box isn't going to be able to handle ginac.  Any ideas?
>
> I have a 133 MHz Pentium with 32 MB at home and it is possible
> to compile GiNaC on this machine.

Just to clarify something:  Patrick mentions that he could compile the
test program by hand without such memory consumption.  The waste of memory
is most certainly due to optimization of headers in <cln/cln.h>.  If you
compile it by hand you probably didn't optimize.  configure wants to set
optimization to -O2 if no CXXFLAGS were set so it compile the test program
with that level, too.  This should account for the difference.

I have just fixed it in current CVS.  Configure runs smoother now  because
the test program only includes <cln/cl_integer.h> (assuming it *must* be
where <cln/cln.h> was found, which is a safe assumtion).  But in any case,
this does not spare you a costly compilation of ginac/numeric.cpp.

Regards
     -rbk.
PS: I just observed a current prerelease of gcc consume 220MB, so the
    inliner seems to be effective with heavy use of templates only (as
    advertiesed).  We'd all better buy some memory soon...
--
Richard Kreckel
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>

-