collect TeX output

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Thu Dec 13 12:54:41 CET 2001

Hello,

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Chris Dams wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
>
> > Because I am surprised to hear that TeX actually breaks expressions.  Does
> > it?  It certainly never did for my own work!  Are you using some packages
> > to do this or am I using packages that prevent breaking or does the
> > computer just not like me???
>
> TeX does so automatically. In formulas typed in text it automatically
> inserts a \relpenalty after every relation symbol (such as =) and
> \binoppenalty after every binary operation (such as +). You can set these
> to 10000 if you want to prohibit line-breaking in text-formulas. LaTeX and
> TeX both set \relpenalty=500 and \binoppenalty=700 (of course, classes and
> packages can change this). If you put an expression into braces, it
> becomes a subexpression that can't be broken anymore.

Sorry for the confusion.  I was talking about equation mode, all others
seem to have been talking about in-text math mode, i.e. the one delimited
by `$' or by `\(' and `\)'.

Anyway, the offending braces come from file add.cpp, lines 163 and 214,
just in case anybody wants to play around with them.  But careful, I guess
they were intentional and meant just for the purpose of not breaking
lines.  Please report to this list if you are absolutely sure that they
should be removed.

Regards
     -richy.
--