[GiNaC-list] Two remarks.

Chris Dams C.Dams at science.ru.nl
Thu Apr 21 11:07:45 CEST 2005

Dear Jens,

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Jens Vollinga wrote:

> The problem, I think, lies with the design of the wildcard mechanism,
> but I don't know how to improve it right now.

I doubt that it lies there. I think the point is that the index dimension
is not really considered an operand of an index in the sense of .nops()
and .op(i). IIRC this is even said explicitly somewhere in the comments.
The disadvantages that this causes are clear: things like .match, .subs
and so on are not always easy to work with. Apparently somebody once upon
a time had a reason not to consider index dimension as operands. The
question that is bothering me now is what this reason was.

Best wishes,
Chris