[GiNaC-list] Python wrapper for a GiNaC derived library

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Thu Aug 3 22:33:09 CEST 2006

Ondrej Certik wrote:

> When you created ginac, at around 2001, how much time did you spend
> coding, to achieve the basic functionality? Couple of weeks? Or
> months/years? And how many people - 4?

Several months, I suppose. But the very basic functionality that you
seem to be discussing was mostly done by Alex Frink alone, at that time.
The state was a buggy expand(), no normal(), no indices, no matrices,
and a quite useless numeric class. But otherwise, juggling symbols
worked fine.

I have clear recollection of Jos Vermaseren asking me (just before the
release of 0.7.0) how much effort had been put into the code and, then,
my answer was three man-years and that was only a slight overestimate.
OTOH, at that time we really had no code to look into and learn from.

Cheers
  -richy.

--
Richard B. Kreckel