[GiNaC-list] Possible size issue in test in numeric.cpp

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Wed Aug 16 16:24:06 CEST 2006

Jens Vollinga writes:

> thanks for your patch! We had a discussion about it on the other GiNaC
> mailing list (ginac-devel) and we are going to apply it. It will be part
> of the forthcoming 1.3.5 release then.
>
> @Richy:
> You wondered why the other ctor for unsigned int doesn't raise such a
> warning. After looking at the code I now wonder whether the code there is
> optimal. The argument is compared against 2^(cl_value_len-1) and not
> 2^(cl_value_len)-1 as one might expect. Maybe this should be changed?
> Could you comment on this soon, because I'd like to roll the release this
> evening?

I agree it should be

       i < ((1UL << cl_value_len)-1)

In this case, a fix similar to the "int" case on 64 bit architectires would
apply, since a "unsigned" will always be less than 2^32.  A patch is
available at

<http://mbdyn.aero.polimi.it/~masarati/Download/mbdyn/ginac-numeric-uint.pat
ch>

Cheers, p.

Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:pierangelo.masarati at polimi.it
via La Masa 34, 20156 Milano, Italy   | http://www.aero.polimi.it/~masarati