[GiNaC-list] Re: doc installation problem

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Wed Nov 14 18:45:20 CET 2007

Hello!

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:56:52AM +0100, Bernd Speiser wrote:
> I have downloaded GiNaC 1.4.0 and installed on an openSuSE 10.3 machine
> according to the README and INSTALL files. Mostly, this was ok. However,
> when trying to generate the documentation, say by make html, I get:

[snipped]

> ginac.texi:923: @image file `classhierarchy.gif' (for HTML) not
> readable: No such file or directory.
> ginac.texi:8552: @image file `repnaive.gif' (for HTML) not readable: No
> such file or directory.
> ginac.texi:8563: @image file `reppair.gif' (for HTML) not readable: No
> such file or directory.
> ginac.texi:8585: @image file `repreal.gif' (for HTML) not readable: No
> such file or directory.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `ginac.htp' due to errors; use --force to
> preserve.
> make[2]: *** [ginac.html] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ginac/ginac-1.4.0/doc/tutorial'
> make[1]: *** [html-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ginac/ginac-1.4.0/doc'
> make: *** [html-recursive] Error 1
>
> Well, indeed, these *.gif files are not there. Shouldn't they somehow be
> generated from the *.fig that ARE there?

Yes. To make that happen you need to have fig2dev program
(http://epb.lbl.gov/xfig) installed. It looks like this utility is
missing on your system. Most GNU/Linux distros I know of have the binary
package (it is called transfig, sometimes xfig, etc.). After installing
it re-run the configure script and try again.

Hope that helps,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.