[GiNaC-list] Re: sympy versus Maxima versus GiNaC

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Fri Jan 4 12:34:00 CET 2008

Hello!

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 03:14:28PM +0100, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> Fun is an important part. But the main reason is to have fast CAS in
> python. I am  one of the authors of swiginac (so that we use the wheel,
> instead of reinventing it), but that's not the way.
> As to speed, we are improving. As shown here for example:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sympycore/browse_thread/thread/8062076c7bc8807d

Which LISP did you use to compile Maxima? How many times did you repeat
the test? (for some bizzare reason the first call to virtually any
function is much slower than subsequent ones). What's about more
"interesting" operations, such as gcd(), evalf(), pattern matching?

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.