[GiNaC-list] advice on a GiNaC based project.

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Fri May 23 10:48:15 CEST 2008

Hello!

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:47:55AM -0700, Bhalchandra Thatte wrote:

> I wish to write a few programs that do something like this:
> take a graph or a tree
> each vertex or edge of the graph has a variable associated with it.
> walk on the graph or find certain subgraphs, and compute certain
> multivariable polynomials in terms of the variables associated
> with vertices or edges.

I think boost.graph (for graph manipulations) and GiNaC (for symbolic
computation) is a reasonable choice.

> later possibly do numerical optimization of the polynomials using
> an optimization library.

Be forewarned: GiNaC does not provide any kind of numerical optimization.

> I thought GiNaC would be ideal for this type of applications because
> C++ will give me complete control over the data structures and
> the efficiency.

I suggest to think twice if you really need a low level programming
language (such as C++) at all.

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.