[GiNaC-list] GiNaC::marix::solve(..)

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at metalica.kh.ua
Wed Jun 3 14:53:47 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 01:17:59PM +0200, Lisa Maletzki wrote:

> But the problem I have is, that I do not know how big my
> matrix will be. In the smallest case it is a 18x18 matrix, so getting all
> those symbols would be rather complicated, or am I just thinking that?

You might want to use something like this:

void generate_symbols(vector<symbol>& vars, const string& pattern)
{
	for (unsigned i = 0; i < vars.size(); ++i) {
		std::ostringstream ostr;
		ostr << pattern << i;
		symbol tmp(ostr.str());
		vars[i] = tmp;
	}
}

unsigned n = 18;
vector<symbol> vars(n);
generate_symbols(vars, "x"); // populates vars with symbols "x0", "x1", etc.
matrix A(n, n);
// your code to fill it in
matrix b(n, 1);
// your code fill it in

matrix x(n, 1);
for (unsigned i = 0; i < n; ++i)
	x(i, 1) = xv[i];

matrix result = A.solve(x, b);

Also, be forewarned: using GiNaC for numerical computations (including
solving linear systems with coefficients being floating-point numbers)
incurs substantial overhead, so you'd better use some linear algebra
software, such as GSL, ATLAS, etc.

Best regards,
	Alexei