[GiNaC-list] GiNaC and Scilab

Jorge Cardona jorgeecardona at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:03:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

My name is Jorge Eduardo Cardona, i'm working rigth now on GSoC with
Scilab, my project consist in add a symbolic module to it.
In order to do that i had choose GiNaC library for it, and your ToDo
list has two topics in which i want to work: Limits and symbolic
integration.

Well, about integrals i check the source and found a little piece of
code that expands integrals (integrals.cpp) and resolve integrals on
pow types, and with it solve polynomial integrals.

I was thinking in start there to add more methods, but i want to know
if there is some work already done.

One way could be to add an argument to REGISTER_FUNCTION and pass an
integral_func(...)  as the extra argument, and we have then integrals
for all the functions registered, and we can then start to use more
heuristic methods on integrals.cpp, well thats just an initial idea, i
want to know all the previous ideas on it to start to work. With
limits, i don't even look at the code for it, but this night i will
check it.

Well, please let me know what do you think about it, you can see a
wiki with information in: http://wiki.scilab.org/Gsoc2009Symbolic, and
the code on: http://gitweb.scilab.org/?p=symbolic;a=summary.

I'm reading some papers on ACM Digital Library about symbolic
integration, specially Symbolic integration: the stormy decade, and
the one that is linked at the TODO list(that link is actually broken:
http://www-sop.inria.fr/cafe/Manuel.Bronstein/publications/issac98.pdf).

Well, i really want to add these features to GiNaC and then use it on
scilab, please let me know everything about it, what do you expect of
it? what basic guidelines on code writing, basic ideas, anything.

Bye.

--
Jorge Eduardo Cardona
jorgeecardona at gmail.com