[GiNaC-devel] Polynomial arithmetics (Was: please pull from ...)

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Mon Sep 22 19:14:00 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 05:12:34PM +0200, Jens Vollinga wrote:

> >> You are using the hpp extension now for some header files. Why?
> >
> > AFAIK this is the standard naming convention for C++ headers.
>
> It is not the standard naming convention for GiNaC. It is just creating
> a mess.

I feel a bit silly -- I don't quite like arguing about names and such.
Also I'm not particulary bound to any naming scheme, so let's discuss
something more interesting and useful instead.

> > Also factor.cpp is quite far from being optimal. In particular, univariate
> > polynomials and operations on them are implemented in very inefficient way.

> I know, thanks, see the email exchange with Richy.

I'm aware of that. My point is a bit different: I was explaining why I didn't
re-use the code from factor.cpp.

> Something like umodpoly will do the job. That was the reason why I asked
> about the future plans of the gcd code because I would then directly use
> umodpoly and would have to add the addional functionality I need into
> upoly.cpp.

I was going to convert factor.cpp myself, but I didn't do that because

- it might conflict with your changes, so this needs to be coordinated,
- if my patches will be rejected that would be a waste time.

> But if this code is still going to change heavily,

I don't think upoly (and associated functions) will change. Anyway, I'll
update all call sites in a case of any incompatible change(s).

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.