[GiNaC-devel] Univariate GCD benchmark (Was: some questions)

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Thu Feb 5 11:40:01 CET 2009

Hi Alexei,

Alexei Sheplyakov schrieb:
>> seem to stop at that last output ... I didn't put it through a debugger
>> yet, maybe the test is just too expensive?
>
> The benchmark works for me just fine, and it doesn't take too much time:

the strange thing is that your original patch did not compile. How can
you compile your sources then, anyway? So, maybe your patch was not
complete?

Another theory would be that I did something wrong applying the patch. I
checked that and it seems unlikely. Most of the patch concerned
completely new files, which should cause no problems. The rest of the
patch seems fine as well.

Maybe my "bug fix" that get the includes right introduces this problem?
Actually, I cannot image this being the case, but if it is, it would
mean that the code has some very serious problems itself (and that
should be fixed).

> annoy users so they don't skip the `make check' step). So I need more
> info to find out what is going on.

It is hard to give more information, because the code just keeps on
running and the data being processed by several involved functions
changes continuously.
I'll try to pin it down, but I the best thing to do first, I think, is
to find out what the difference between your code and the one in the git
repository is! There must be a difference, otherwise your patch would
have compiled right away without changes.

Regards,
Jens