[GiNaC-devel] Univariate GCD benchmark (Was: some questions)

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at metalica.kh.ua
Thu Feb 5 14:45:15 CET 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:40:01AM +0100, Jens Vollinga wrote:

> the strange thing is that your original patch did not compile. How can
> you compile your sources then, anyway?

I've got CLN and GiNaC headers installed in ~/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/include,
so '#include <ginac/ginac.h>' happened to work (which is a bad thing).

> So, maybe your patch was not complete?

It was complete, but a bit incorrect (specifically, I've messed up #include
directives).

> Another theory would be that I did something wrong applying the patch. I
> checked that and it seems unlikely. Most of the patch concerned
> completely new files, which should cause no problems. The rest of the
> patch seems fine as well.

I think the patch was correctly applied. Just in a case, I've built GiNaC
from from the `official' branch (before sending the previous mail). Still,
`make check' shows no errors (or something unusual) at all.

> Maybe my "bug fix" that get the includes right introduces this problem?

I doubt it.

> Actually, I cannot image this being the case, but if it is, it would
> mean that the code has some very serious problems itself (and that
> should be fixed).

>> annoy users so they don't skip the `make check' step). So I need more
>> info to find out what is going on.
>
> It is hard to give more information, because the code just keeps on
> running and the data being processed by several involved functions
> changes continuously.

The information I'm asking for is:
1. Architecture and OS,
2. Compiler version,
3. CLN version,
4. Compiler flags,
5. Any unusual configuration options.

> I'll try to pin it down, but I the best thing to do first, I think, is
> to find out what the difference between your code and the one in the git
> repository is!

$ git branch -a
* master
  origin/GiNaC-international