[GiNaC-list] GiNaC versus a mixture Cygwin and MinGW

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Wed Jan 2 16:14:16 CET 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:44:02PM +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> The cygwin tools was used to the path setting from the mingw.

I doubt it. As far as I can see from your config.log, the header and library
paths are Cygwinish. So, the compiler sees <dlfcn.h> header (which is
*NIX- and Cygwin-specific), the linker picks (cygwinish) libdl and libreadline,
and the build gets messed up. Fortunately, you get a compile error instead
of misterious run-time failure[s].

> export PATH=$PATH:/c/Programs/cygwin/bin:/c/Programs/cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin

Unfortunately, that's not enough. You should set at least CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
to prevent the linker and compiler from using cygwin-specific stuff. You might
also need to append -mno-cygwin to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

> So ginac.pc at PKG_CONFIG_PATH seemed not to work correctly.

Please post the actual error message, along with config.log from that
particular attempt.

> Instead
>  export CLN_CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/octave-3.0.0/include'
>  export CLN_LIBS='-L/usr/local/octave-3.0.0/lib'

I wonder how this could ever work. At least, you should add -lcln to
CLN_LIBS. Depending on how CLN was configured, you might also add -lgmp.

>  export GINAC_CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/octave-3.0.0/include'
>  export GINAC_LIBS='-L/usr/local/octave-3.0.0/lib'

The build scripts do not use these variables (they are harmless, but
not necessary).

> seemed to work.
>
> I tried pkg-config.exe 0.18.?? (>0.9.0) from the Gimp tool kit but it did
> not works at all.

"Does not work at all" is not really informative. Please post the actual
error message.

> So I tried pkg-config.exe on the cygwin.

> The problem I think the mktemp is not installed to the mingw nor the msys.
> I found 'mktemp-1.5-MSYS-src.tar.bz2'.

I don't think so. That package contains the `mktemp' utility, which simply
calls corresponding function from the C runtime library. It is necessary
for some (UNIX) shell scripts. GiNaC does not use that utility.

As far as I understand, your problem is  completely different. The code in
excompiler.cpp is platform-specific and should not be built on window$ (it
won't work there anyway). The configure should have disabled it, but it
did not, because your build environment (in particular library and
headers search paths) is misconfigured. I suggest to use MinGW/msys tools
instead of mixing MinGW and Cygwin (unless you are experienced Cygwin/UNIX
user). If you encounter some problems, please post error message(s) (along
with config.log file) here.

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.